Thursday, November 20, 2008

Moments from My Metropolis - I.M. Pei

Let me start with some stories of my very few and very incidental encounters with the great Chinese-American architect, I.M. Pei (full name: Pei Ieoh-Ming贝聿铭).

It all began when I discovered that old Mr and Mrs Pei happen to be my neighbours. It was an exciting discovery personally because he is well-known in Asia and is someone much talked about between my late father and myself when I was growing up. We deliberately and consciously admired his work when we visited the Louvre, Bank of China (Hong Kong), Raffles City in Singapore; and later by myself, the East Wing of Washington DC's National Gallery, the Jacob Jarvits Center, Bank of China (Beijing), Four Seasons (New York).

Not one to be easily impressed by modern architecture, I have come to learn about the master's subtle manipulation of light, shadows, reflections and space with minimal use of shapes, motifs, colours or indeed any decorations. In the end, I realise that his style of architecture is less about the building but is instead about the space-enclosed - and how the space in turn play with the light or view from the outside as they turned into shadows and reflections inside.

If one consider the gardens of Suzhou and how the designers manipulate the space, the views from the strategically placed openings and the shadows from plants and rocks - but minimal colours; one get the sense of the origins of Pei's philosophy and sensibility in his design. He is a master in engaging you by doing less and hence making you notice more.

Well, the Peis live in their town house at No.11 Sutton Place (which is between E57th and E58th street) a mere 5 minutes walk from my apartment block which is on E54th street. It is a simple and neat looking townhouse no more than 25 feet wide and painted in various shades of gray. Although it pre-dates the modern era of Pei's signature styles, the house echos the clean lines and neutral shades one often find in his designs. A few simple metal sculptures are visible from the second floor window.

One time, Mewyee and I were walking nearby when we saw the tiny old man himself coming out of his house. He looked the same as in the photographs in a grey suit and his trademark glasses. A few paces behind him, his wife came out wearing a qi pao walking quickly after him. He walked out to the middle of the street to flag down a cab and off they went.

Some time later, in conversation with a random neighbour in a park next to Pei's home, the neighbour said they often see him about, sometimes sweeping leaves off the sidewalk. One time she claimed, she shared a bus ride from midtown with him. I.M.Pei riding on the bus!

When my daughters was in pre-school, we were amused to find that Pei's daughter, Li-Anne was the school's "onward schools" counsellor we had spoken with for information about getting into private schools. She was a corporate lawyer before leaving practice after she had children so as to have more flexibility with her time. Another parents in the same school, who is Chinese-American, was so excited when she found out, she came to us saying "Guess who is Li-Anne Pei's dad?! Its I.M Pei!!" To which her husband could not understand the excitement and asked, "who is I.M.Pei?"

Just last week, when I walked by the neighbourhood I saw Li-Anne coming out of her parent's house. I just said hi, but she didn't see/hear me because she was busy walking into the middle of the street to hail a cab.

2 comments:

View from HK said...

great post! the world is so small and you are actually having a great living chinese living just off the block.

over here in HK, the rich and famous live in their gated mansion and travel in their private jet. I mean those like LKS and alike.

Of course every now and then at the airport, I could see some public figures. that's all about it!

by the way, did i tell you an encounter i had with former chinese minister of foreign affair Li Zhaoxing.

once i was checking through immigiration's diplomatic channel (one of the nicest privilege that comes with the APEC card), as I saw this fine public figure. I nodded my head and smiled at hime. To my surpise, Li (already retired at that point) returned by doing the same.

that was really a pleasant surprise!

View from NY said...

Thank you for adding his Chinese name to this posting!