Tuesday, August 10, 2010

SCREAM Out What We Say

Before I scream out what we say, let me confess that nothing I am about to say is original but everything I am about to tell you, I first heard it here.

On how to say it the first rule and arguably the most important rule, and some says the only rule - is say it in simple and correct English.

Andrew, our advanced Toastmaster, is a strong advocate of simple English. If an additional word doesn’t convey any added meaning, he discards it like garbage. If a longer word can be replaced by a shorter word without distorting it's intended meaning or compromising its flow of delivery, he has no hesitation using the shorter word.

On correct English, both in term of grammar and pronouciation, our seasoned toastmasters have taken a very gentle approach to encourage us to adopt better English.

One useful correct English usage and technique I learn comes from Paul, another veteran toastmaster cum blogger. He explained the tricky difference between acronym and mnemonic.

LKF is an acronym for Lan Kwai Fong. Surely you know what is the acronym for Hong Kong Special administrative Region? Mnemonic is a technique using easy-to-remember words to assist our memory. Speaking of mnemonic, Frances is our undisputed champion on this technique. I remember she used the word TAG”, the grammarian’s word of the day in evaluating a speech. She spontaneously employed T for title, A for attention, G for genuine to offer some powerful suggestions to the speaker.

I also remember Ben giving us a very meaningful and touching mnemonic – FAMILY – to remind us the very essence of it – family stands for father and mother I love you.

Today I am going to give you a mnemonic – SCREAM - to let us SCREAM out what we say. We will start with the S – S for Simile Simile is making a comparison that uses the words like or as. Our club teasurer -Gilbert used a simile in his icebreaker speech - like a moth to the flame - to explain how passionately and irresistibly he is attracted to sailing. Other examples includes - drink like a fish- as white as snow.

Let me turn to the C – C for Contrast: Contrast involves using words with opposite meanings. This line is famous - Not that I loved Cæsar less, but that I loved Rome more. The contrasting words are less versus more.

At the last meeting, I heard SK Teo a visiting Distinguished Toastmaster from Spore said - there are no strangers, only friends you haven’t met yet. Strangers and friends are the contrasting words.

Can I have the R now – R for Rhyme Rhyme is using words with similar ending sound that are melodic to the ear. An example is an apple a day keeps the doctor away. The rhyming words are day and away. Let me give you another example – a rhyme that preaches the virtue of determination – little strokes fell great oaks.

Let’s have the E – E for Echo. Echo is repetition of words or phrases. You remember William Shakespear asking - to be or not to be.

Ben cleverly twisted it to - to eat or not to eat – in his project 7. Cecelia likewise asked us just last meeting whether to be or not to be - a multi-tasker.

Pauline gave us what appear an ironic yet turn out to be an iconic line singing praises for doctors treating the terminally ill patients - If we cannot add days to life, we add life to days. This is such a clever repetition of words in a reverse order.

Give me the A now – A for Alliteration Alliteration means the initial letters or sound in different words are repeated in a pleasing or memorable manner.

I recall the prolific Pauline saying an alliteration - attitude determines the altitude - to describe her philosophy of life.

Other common examples are sweet smell of success, all three initial letters start with s; bigger and better, all with b.

Lastly, let’s have the M – M for metaphor Metaphor is drawing an analogy between two objects or ideas via association or resemblance. I wish you may one day become a Li Ka Shing. I use Li Ka Shing as a metaphor for being a super rich and if you don't like it, on behalf of the humanity, for being as charitable as he does - giving away a third of his fortune to the charity.

You have heard the SCREAM: S for Simile, C for Contrast, R for Rhyme, E for Echo, A for Alliteration and M for Metaphor.

I hope you enjoy the fun of toastmastering as much as I do. If you do may I ask you a small favor to scream out loud the word - scream.

2 comments:

View from HK said...

delivered as project 4 - How to say it - on Augu=st 10, 2010.

Evaluator - Andrew Y.

Time: 7 min 18 sec.

View from NY said...

FANTASTIC!