Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Why did I Join Toastmasters?

The answer is - I am doing it for my children. They are the ones who inspire me to make the commitment to join the Toastmasters.

The ability to speak, especially the the ability to speak to lead (the Toastmasters' motto), is always a valuable asset in any society.

Great speakers from Abe Lincoln to Winston Churchill, JFK to BHO, are great role models of how words, if said properly, can be so powerful and so contagious.

My objective is very simple - acquire a better speaking technique and create a positive impact on to my two little boys.

Let them grow up with the confidence to deliver public speeches anytime anywhere and do so with ample private thinking.

Note: Winston Churchill once complained that there were too many public speaking but there were too little private thinking.

1 comment:

View from NY said...

well done ... if I may add, in Toastmasters you will meet similarly open, positive and interesting individuals.

One of my best pals in Brunei started or rather rejuvenated the Toastmasters many years ago when he was down and out -- and jobless with a family to support in Canada. Not logical, I know. But for him that became his new beginning...he reached out, be a positive role model, made good friends and strangely enough but one friend led to another and to opportunities to help friends, the friends helped back and suddenlly he had all sorts of business and other opportunities coming his way.

Years later, when asked what is his business model, he thought for a long time, he said simply "I helped friends and they bring me money lor..."

Saying that, I too should join.