Friday, June 26, 2009

An Email dated June 4, 2009

Written just a mile away from the Tiananmen on the 20th Anniversay of the Tiananmen Incident. As I was not able to post it on to the NYHK in Beijing (access is denied for the past months), I am posting it now for archival reason. Accompanied herein with a post note written today.

Dear Bro,

Pls read this
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/04/opinion/04kristof.html

I remember I was very sympathetic to the students at that time. Over the years, I came to the view that what they did at the time was wrong - not that what they demanded was wrong but the way they demanded it. Zhao was unable to backpedal it and arguably deploy these hot blooded students as pawn to fight against Deng.

I have been partial to Deng all these years. The last 30 years has been golden years for china and I felt so defensive each time he is marred by this incident. I always try to see in the light of 30 million death compared to 3000 casualties. The truth is it is really not statistic.

When the soldier gunned down the students, it was wrong and there is no justification. Apology is definitely dued. CCP has to retract their official stance on Tiananmen incident.

I think CCP will come to senses one day and I am confident to see it in the next 10-15 years.

written just less than a mile from Tiananmen,
KY

Note on June 26: even on the 20th anniversay, I was and am still hoping that CCP would repent and reconcile with its transgresses. I don't know if I am too optimistic. I hope I am not. If what I am hoping remains illusory 10-15 years from now, will I be considered as tacitly endorsing a government repressive to its peoples. Will I come to regret? I am talking about 10-15 years and during that interval, what would happen?

Think of all those activitsts who were jailed/exciled. Think of all those most often unnamed peoples whose property, dignity and rights are aggrieved by the corrupt and repressive officers and their accomplices.

Think of the very notion of justice, liberty and democracy denied to the 1.3 billion. Think of the 30 millions of Mao's casualties during the Great Leap Forward. Think of all those who sufferred and lost their life in the countless of campaign launched by the CCP in the first 30 years of its rule.

Think of those kids at Tiananmen and the vision that remains illusive the past 20 years.

No comments: