Saturday, September 6, 2008

Brunei and Malaysia

In the last few weeks, I was with the family on vacation first in Brunei and later in Malaysia. And one of the things that made the strongest impressions on me - albeit from a purely personal and anecdotal perspective - was the state of relations between the races.

In Malaysia, the state of racial relations are in a flux. The signs are mixed in the aftermath of the March 8 elections. On the plus side, electoral gains were made by the ostensibly multi-racial opposition coalition running on a largely non-racial message. I was there when the by-elections in Pematang Pauh took place and Datuk Seri Anwar ran a multi-racial campaign in a Malay majority constituency - and emerged victorious with increased majority.

On the otherhand, both the ruling and the opposition could not avoid the fact that all Malaysian political parties are stuck with a certain de facto racial identity, regardless of what the party constitution says. Within UNMO, hardliners and extremists keen to make a name for themselves are exploiting the political vacuum with impunity. When I was in Malaysia numerous such controversies were swirling around the national media. Outraged reactions from other races only serve to polorize the political environment. Having spent 2 years in a decidedly cosmopolitan (and astonishingly non-racial) environment that is NYC - and fresh from a few weeks in Brunei - I was struck how even casual conversations amongst family and friends often contain an uncomfortable number of sweeping statements about this and that race.

My observations while I was in Brunei though gave me pause for a different - and more hopeful and encouraging - reason. I'd be first to admit that it would not be possible or fair to compare the two countries; but what gave me pause was the scenes from Brunei's Chinese school when I picked up my daughters .

You see, my daughters spend the past 2 summers in Brunei and my mother arranged for them to attend the classes for the 10 weeks or so at the local Chinese school. It often amuses me how few people in Malaysia know that not only there are 8 Chinese schools in Brunei (3 of them up to middle school level), the Chung Hwa Middle School BSB with almost 4000 students from K to Pre-University level is the largest and one of the most respected schools in the country. The school is well-funded by the local Chinese community (as evident by a spanking new 5 storey complex) and progressive in its approach to education. Gone are the old fashioned 'Chinese-educated' mentality - and helped by an influx of talented teachers from mainland China - and the emphasis is now on a fully rounded education from music to wushu. Both my parents went to Chung Hwa, and so did my sister and I (up to Primary 6) and eventually so do both my daughters and all my sisters kids. Inevitably, there were the occasional politically-inspired challenges and I remember many as told to me by my late-father who was on the school board for more than 20 years; but overall I believe the state of Chinese education in Brunei has never been stronger.

All of that was very gratifying, but what gave me pause was the heartening racial diversity that I witnessed in that school. Malay parents and children no longer the oddities but they are now present in large numbers. In the steps waiting for the dismissal bell are ladies in tudong, guys military uniform, guys in haji caps, Philippinos, Indians and quite a few caucasian kids (I spotted one arriving in a British embassy car). Back in 2003, the principle told me the ratio of non-Chinese was 11% overall and 25% at kindergarten level ("we are slowly becoming an international school" she added). Today the numbers are probably even higher. I also sense that the idea of attending Ching Hwa is now mainstream, judging from the number of well-educated Malay elites I know who are sending their kids to Chung Hwa.

Back in the classrooms, the kids were yakking, studying, teasing and playing to one another in mix of Chinese and English. In them I see an easy and comfortable mingling that will continue as they grow older. As I see them, I realised that as my generation of Chinese grew up being comfortable with Malay friends and relations; now there is a growing generation of Malays who will be growing up being comfortable with Chinese. It is not only a matter of speaking and understanding the language, but I also see doors wide open into each other's cultures and worldview. In the same way that we are plugged into the global (and Western) language and culture, I see many of these youngsters being simulteneously plugged into their own culture, the global culture and the Chinese dimension.

I hope I was seeing the future and if so, I think I like what I am seeing.

2 comments:

View from HK said...

Your family's alma mater, Chung Hwa, is a great school. From description, it sounds so much like one of the elite school in Spore. The fact that it is situated in BSB makes it so special.

I didn't know that your late father was on the board. I am sure he is watching down with tremendous pride of what is being accomplished.

Your father must be a fine confucianist businessman. Salute with respect!

View from NY said...

A quick reply to thank you for what you said of my father. As with most Chinese schools, its run by sponsorship from the local Chinese community and every sponsor is eligible to run/vote for the board. After his passing, my mother was a member of the board for a few years too as an appointed member.

The schools aspires to be a top school rather than as a traditionalist bastion of Chinese education. To this day, it is still 'work in progress' because you simply cannot compare with the Singaporean schools in terms of funding and expertise.

In many ways, one cannot really reach that elite level as a school with 4000 pupils. Also, I have to appreciate that its a school for the common people; I like the fact that my daughters go to the same class as children of contractors, bank clerks, mechanics, lawyers, accounts staff etc. I am glad that they are growing up not thinking of themselves as "a breed apart" from other social strata.

My father's generation of board members made a difference by embracing this pragmatic approach over traditionalism for traditions sake.

When I was in Primary 6, they got the school to convert to teaching in English for all secondary level. Shortly after, history, science, geography and maths were switched to English after Primary 3. They spent money on science labs and language labs.

And they looked at every opportunity to earn extra income for the school; from operating more canteens to providing more optional classes (electric organ, dancing, art, wushu etc.) for students willing to pay more. In effect, the school now runs 7 days a week - with classrooms doubling up for (paid) activities in the weekends.

They weathered political pressures. First, when the government insisted that no foreigners are allowed to be school principals; they had a government appointee for a while before promoting a local from within. Then when the government insisted that all food in school canteen has to be halal, they went with the changes. Ironically, that made it possible for the school to be more multi-racial. Samething for when the government says we need to allow time and space for muslim students to attend ugama classes in the afternoon; that could have been an emotive issue but in the end it was treated pragmatically.

So three cheers to progress and pragmatism!!