Thursday, July 17, 2008

Confucianist Perspective of Barack Obama

A new post is coming! The past few days I have been ruminating on a remark from KY earlier, that "...history has not gathered sufficient number of success in enlightening mankind." That made me wonder how much of that statement is true because I am by nature, optimistic.

So ruminating is what I am doing, thinking in short bursts until I get interrupted or distracted, and will be happy to share my thoughts when they are (finally) coherent!

Meantime, last weekend we went on a short trip to Lake Skeneatheles one of the 'Finger Lakes' in upstate New York. I had an amazing experience swimming in the lake and its icy cold crystal clear waters. The water actually felt different more alive and energetic; and I was bouncing with energy after that.

I also had the opportunity to finish reading all the chapters of Barack Obama's Audacity of Hope that I'd skipped or skimmed through earlier. I must say its an intelligently sumptious and nutritious read. Every chapter is a powerful and well-written weave of personal anecdote, a masterful dissection of the prevailing arguments that both sides of the political spectrum hurl at one another and the public, always seeking to understand before shaving away the extreme, unrealistic or simply mistaken views, often emerging with a set of very plausible basic principles with which to move ahead. I was more impressed than ever.

Something else also came through. Amidst all the chatter in the media about Obama shifting to the centerist position and changing his positions tells me that they have not read his book. The candidate you see today is what he wrote about 2 years ago. He is a center-left and has always been. HRC gave him the cover to run from there (in substance) but he has been skillful enough to appeal to the idealism of the leftier fringes.

But above all, its the thinking style and personal qualities that shone through. I thought this is a voice I would like to listen to for year to come not because he has all the answers but because he offers a compelling reasoning of the challenges we face without dismissing either the difficulties or different views. The incorrigble Confucian in me finds the idea of leaders as a teacher and a guide a very attractive proposition.

No comments: